2 1/1 cups of self raising flour
1 ¾ cups of castor sugar
1 teaspoon of baking soda
3/5 cup of cocoa
150 grams of butter
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
250 grams softened cream cheese
2 tablespoons of butter
¼ cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of cornflour
2 tablespoons of milk
½ teaspoon of vanilla
1) Sift flour sugar soda and cocoa powder into a large bowl.
2) Soften butter but do NOT melt
3) Add butter, water and vanilla essence and beat on medium speed for 3 minutes
4) Add eggs, increase speed and beat a further 3 minutes, till well mixed.
More Chocolate Recipes
6) Prepare a well lined DEEP 23 centimeter round or square cake tin. I suggest a tin with a removable base works best.
7) Either grease and shake a thin coating of flour around the tin, line the base with greased grease proof or baking paper.
8) Pour half the cake batter into the tin and spread evenly.
9) Spread the cream cheese filling over the base layer.
10) Carefully spoon the rest of the mixture over the filling. Try not to mix the batter into the filling. Spoon dollops all over and carefully ease to cover the filling.
11) Bake for 40-50- minutes at 180oC or 350oF.
12) Leave in the tin to cool completely.
- Ice with chocolate icing or ganache if you wish.
- I do not ice this cake as it is quite moist and rich as it is. I prefer to sprinkle cocoa powder or icing sugar over the top.
- You could place a stencil to get a pattern if you want a more decorative look.