Chocolate Ginger Cake
”A Quick, Easy Cake for Ginger Lovers "
This quick and easy Chocolate Ginger Cake Recipe will be a favourite for those who love ginger and chocolate. Mix it in one pot and you can whip it up in no time. Do not over cook. I found it made quite a thin cake. If you want a nice thick cake you might like to bake it in a smaller cake pan. Great for a contribution to a morning or afternoon tea.
125 grams butter
1/4 cup sugar
125 grams cooking chocolate
3/4 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup Chopped crystallized ginger
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup water
1 tblspn grated root ginger
1) Preheat oven to 180oC (350oF)
2) Line the base of a 20 cm (8inch) round cake pan with baking paper
3) Melt butter, sugar and cooking chocolate in a saucepan large enough to mix all the ingredients
4) Remove from the heat and cool
5) Separate eggs. Beat the yolks into the chocolate mixture.
6) Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form
7) Fold the egg white into the mixture with the chopped crystallized ginger
NOTE: Fold the egg white through carefully. You want to keep the whites as full of air as possible.
8) Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and spread evenly.
9) Bake at 180oC (350oF) for 25 - 30 minutes
10) Cool in pan for 20 minutes. The cake will firm up as it cools.
11) Turn out onto wire rack
12) Pour ginger syrup over and leave until cold.
TO MAKE GINGER SYRUP
1) Heat water, sugar and ginger together for 10 minutes until slightly thickened and syrupy.
3) Pour over the cake