60 grams butter
3 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
350 grams sliced rhubarb – cut into approximately 2cm pieces
grated rind of one lemon
250grams sour cream
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
1) Beat butter and sugar together
2) Add eggs and vanilla essence
3) Stir in sifted flour, salt, soda and cinnamon
4) Add chopped rhubarb, lemon rind and sour cream
5) Prepare a 22centermeter tin, I prefer a square tin as it is easier to cut the portions, but a round tin also works well. Either greased and floured or lined with baking paper.
6) Spoon in the mixture ( it won't be pourable) and level
7)Sprinkle the topping evenly over the mix.
8)Bake in preheated oven at 180oC or 350oF for 50-60 minutes
Ever popular, Rhubarb and Sour Cream Cake is great after a BBQ meal, or for any occasion where you want a cake that is not too rich. The fresh rhubarb makes for a lovely tangy flavour.One of my daughter's favourites, she makes it for her guests often. If you love rhubarb.... you will love this cake!
Hot from the oven, this Rhubarb and Sour Cream is ready to pack for a picnic as soon as it has cooled down.