1 cup of melted or creamed butter
1 cup of brown sugar
½ cup of white sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1 pottle of plain yoghurt
3 cups of plain flour
¼ cup of cocoa powder
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups of grated zucchini/courgette
1 cup of chocolate chips or buttons (small)
1) Mix the butter and sugar together.
2) Beat in the eggs one at a time
3) Add the vanilla and yoghurt and beat again
4) Add sifted dry ingredients
5) Mix in the grated zucchini/courgette and finally the chocolate chips or buttons
6) Pour into a 23cm ( 9 inch) cake tin lined with baking paper or greased and floured. A removable base will make it easier to remove the cake
7) Bake for 45 – 60 minutes at 175oC or 300oF or until a skewer comes out clean
8) Leave in tin to cool before turning out onto a wire rack.
- This makes a large cake good for a crowd. Serve as a dessert with berries or for any occasion.
- Great for a birthday cake as the texture makes it easy to ice. Your guests will love it.
- With a rich, dense texture it keeps well wrapped in tinfoil in the fridge.
- Also very nice just sprinkled with good quality cocoa powder or icing sugar. Use a stencil for a pretty effect.
- Alternatively either ice with chocolate icing, or try a chocolate cream cheese icing or ganache for a truly decadent treat!
- Wait for the Compliments!