2 cups flour
125 grams well chilled butter
1 egg (optional) beaten
3-4 tablespoons cold water
1 teaspoons salt
1) Put the flour, salt and butter into a food processor and process until it forms crumbs.
2) Add the egg and pulse to combine
3) Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition - if the dough forms a ball your pastry is ready so don’t add any more water!
4) Either spread into muffin pans, and place in fridge or freezer or wrap in cling wrap and place in fridge or freezer 15 - 30 minutes before using.
5) Prick the base of each pastry shell before baking at 180oC for
NOTE If you don’t have a food processor the old tried and true hand method works well ….it is just more labour intensive.
Using clean hands, rub the butter into the flour and salt with your fingertips until you reach the same breadcrumb consistency. Sprinkle the egg and water over top. Using a knife, mix everything until it comes together creating a ball Do not overwork the dough.
See Tips for Making Pastry if you need further advice
Make this Savoury Shortcust Pastry for the bases of quiches, tarts and pies. Made in the food processor it is really quick and you will never bother with bought pastry again. I like to use this shortcrust pastry as a base for small individual quiches made in the large size muffin pans. If you can make it as a large pie or tart you can use the same mixture in small savoury tarts.